Before we can talk about our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity, it’s important to have a clear understanding of what these words mean to us:
Diversity – Recognizing the uniqueness of individuals within a group. A person isn’t diverse, a person is unique and they bring diversity to a group.
Inclusion – Valuing each individual’s uniqueness by making them feel celebrated or appreciated.
Equity – Ensuring everyone has the same access to the same opportunities by recognizing that we don’t all begin at the same starting point and removing barriers to correct the imbalance.
Second Story believes that our commitment to social justice is about the actions we take every day. It’s about valuing the visible and invisible qualities that make individuals unique and working together to dismantle inequities.
Second Story is a racially diverse community of caring and motivated individuals striving to lift up young people and families by championing just and compassionate social protocols. We were founded on the principle of providing equal access to opportunity, and we remain true to our mission.
- We see diversity, inclusion and equity as connected to our mission and critical to ensuring the well-being of our staff, young people, and the communities we serve.
- We believe that each community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee should have a voice in solving community problems.
- We strive to nurture a community that reflects the shared value of our individual experiences.
- We commit to leading with respect and tolerance.
- We work to promote, encourage, and celebrate a community where all feel welcome and included.
Second Story strives to address systemic inequality by providing equal opportunity for marginalized youth, regardless of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, citizenship status, or religion. We celebrate and honor the diversity of our community, our staff, and the youth we serve recognizing that this diversity contributes to our strength. We further recognize that the systemic racism sadly prevalent in our nation may sometimes blind us when we are acting unfairly or in an inequitable manner. Therefore, we strive to keep channels of communication open and welcome the chance to learn from our mistakes, dedicate ourselves to continuous improvement, and move forward towards true racial and economic justice. By working hard and collaboratively addressing the difficult questions facing today’s society, we approach each day with an eagerness to ensure an equitable future.