We are updating this page with our immediate needs as we continue to adapt our programs in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Join our COVID-19 Task Force
We are sending emails as our needs arise to a group we’re calling our “COVID-19 Task Force.” This small group will receive updates as they come in about what we need. They’ll leverage their own resources and also their networks to help us make connections and provide food and other resources to people who need help the most.
Donate to our COVID-19 Relief Efforts
Many of our most important needs right now can only be met monetarily, and financial contributions are much needed and appreciated. Your donations are deeply impactful: $100 provides three weeks of food for a young woman and her child at Second Story for Young Mothers, $250 provides five therapy sessions through these challenging and often anxious times, and $1,500 covers approximately two months of rent and resources for a young person in Second Story for Homeless Youth.
Give In Kind
- Gentlease (Purple Enfamil cans)
- Baby wipes
- Eucerin cream
- Swiffer wetjet cleaning product
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Full mattress
- Razors for females
- Body lotion – full size, like Suave
- Snack (chips)
- Laundry detergent (smaller-sized bottles)
- Liquid Hand Soap- small bottles
- Hair care products for all types of hair (especially textured hair, Eco style curl and wave gel, gorilla snot)
- Headphones – not ear buds or wireless
- Breakfast cereal
- Family/Individual meals
- Pasta sauce (medium jars)
- Instant oatmeal
- Canned meats
- Beans (black & kidney)
- Chef Boyardee instant meals
- Mashed potatoes and meal helpers
- Juice-any kind
- Canned veggies
- Peanut butter and jelly
- BBQ sauce
- Salad dressings
- Canned fruits
- Canned meat/tuna/chicken
- Pancake mix
- Plain, gender neutral T-shirts in all sizes (S, M, L , XL)
- Sweat pants in all sizes (S, M, L, XL)
- Black ankle socks for male and female, all sizes
- 4T and 5T pullups
- Diapers size 4
- Outlet protectors for baby-proofing
- 2 water hoses
- Toilet brushes
- Bathroom cleaners
- Womens deodorant
- Mens deodorant
- Costco gift cards
- Gas station gift cards
- Safeway gift cards ($10 and $20 increments are preferred)
Gift cards can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to Second Story attn: Christine Bartell, PO Box 694, Dunn Loring, VA 22027.
All other items can be shipped or dropped them off to 2100 Gallows Rd, Vienna, VA 22182. If you’re dropping them off please text Christine Bartell at 703.217.5205 to let us know you’re on your way, and you can simply leave your items on the doorstep. If you’re shipping your donation please include a note with your order including your name and email address if you would like to receive a donation receipt – donations without this information will be considered anonymous and no receipt will be distributed. To explore other ideas or ask questions, please contact our Director of Resource Management, Christine Bartell.
Host a Fundraiser
There are other ways to help with financial support, too. A great way to spread the word and involve your community is to host a fundraiser. There are several ways you can do this.
- Host a Facebook fundraiser. Learn how here.
- Start a Gofundme and share it with your community.
- Reach out to your community groups (like your church, parents’ group, book club, etc.) and consider hosting a fundraiser.
For more information or if you want to host a fundraiser, contact our Vice President of Development, Jade Leedham. We’d love to talk about your ideas and provide support!
As always, we appreciate all kinds of support–in-kind donations, helping us spread the word, and monetary donations–and we want to be sure you understand the wide range of need and all the ways you can partner with us.